Wednesday 5 August 2009

Scotch these Rogue Nation rumours

When I heard I'd been name-checked in Alan Clements' Scotch on the Rocks re-write, "Rogue Nation", I wasn't sure whether to be flattered or stretch for the speed-dial to m' learned friends.

Turns out I needn't have bothered buying the book to check. Mr Clements names a bit character in his independence-countdown thriller with the moniker Torquil Crichton, so escaping the clutches of the libel courts. (The bad news Alan, I have a cousin who spells his name just so). Still, my finger hovered over the phone as I read on...Arghh

Having Clements cast me as a member of the hitherto secret "Scottish Unionist Resistance" is bad enough (cyber-gnats at ten o'clock high) but being appointed Finance Minister of Scotland in this proto film script is taking things too far. I'm no George Clooney, but I tell you I'm no John Swinney either. Get me Dowdall!

UPDATE 17/08 : I've now read the book and have less to fear from it than Sammy Wilson, the East Antrim DUP MP has. It may not be the best-written thriller of the year but it has a corkscrew plot that keeps you turning the pages right to the end. Hats off to you, Alan.

No comments:

Post a Comment